Sunday 5 February 2012

The Superbowl and other diet killers

The Superbowl is this afternoon and people all around the world are preparing to, not only watch the game, but eat their way through the game.

Having never had a problem eating to excess, the Superbowl gives me a February excuse to eat myself silly. Listen, I could lie and tell you that I'm going to be good this year...but I know that's not going to happen.

This year, I'm in control of the menu. In years past, Matt and I attended Superbowl parties at our friends' home. Unfortunately, this year, our babysitters (my parents) are having their own Superbowl party at their place...how rude! ;) Kidding of course. My parents are allowed to have a social life and do not exist simply to provide us with free babysitting services. But it is a bit of a bummer because we were invited to our friends Suzanne and JF's house. Suzanne is a great cook and always makes really good stuff.

Alas, it was not meant to be this year...

Anyway, that's why Matt and I are having our Superbowl party for two (Sam will be in bed by then...YAY!). You would think that, since I'm in control of menu, that I would make a effort to only buy low calories\healthy snacks. Yeah, no. This is a Superbowl party!

The Superbowl got me thinking about other diet killers. Holidays are the obvious ones: Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter. But there are so many others! For example, birthday parties. I have two of those in the next week and a half.

If you're trying to lose weight, or even if you aren't but still want to be careful and make better food choices, you need some kind of strategy. Splurge a little and pick your spots. My strategy is to enjoy the Superbowl. Matt and I love football and we've been following the NFL all year. This is a fun day for us. Today is my cheat day. But that just means that I will have to be extra careful about what I put in my mouth for the next few weeks. It also means that I will need to make smart choices when I join friends for those two birthday celebrations this month.

My advice, let yourself have some fun with food once and awhile, or else you will go crazy. I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment