Tuesday 3 January 2012

My first workout

I remember my first workout with a bit of a coy smile. I smile because I was a mess! It was February 2010 and I remember being so nervous when I showed up at the gym. I was the fat girl in a sea of in-shape people, or at least, that's what I thought at the time.

After a quick stretch (which I now know is somewhat pointless - that's another blog entry as well...), I remember getting on an exercise bike...and getting off panting after 20 minutes. It was so much harder than I had thought! I wanted to die. Of course, I didn't. And I was back two days later for another short workout.

I'm not intending this blog as a place where I give advice to people who want to get in shape and lose weight. What I detail here is my experience. I have absolutely no expertise on how to do this except for my own experience. However, if I were to give a piece of advice to a very overweight person starting an exercise routine (after consulting with their doctor of course), it would be to start slow. 20 minute workouts of light to medium intensity exercise.

As you might expect, within a few weeks, the 20 minutes on the exercise bike wasn't hard anymore. Quickly, I had to up the resistance and during of my cardio workouts. It's amazing how fast it happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment